A mirror of the artistic and architectural styles that have characterized the history of art from '200 to '800.
Palazzo Ducale is a large monumental building of 35,000 square meters and with a volume of 250,000 cubic meters. The palace is spread between via Tommaso Reggio, Piazza Matteotti, Piazza De Ferrari and ascent of the Archbishopric and the Fondaco. It has two inputs from Piazza Matteotti and Piazza De Ferrari. Having been a place of power for many centuries and was born from the aggregation and enlargement of earlier medieval buildings, is strongly affected by the blend of the medieval parts, sixteenth century, neoclassic, neomedievaliste and actions of Civil Engineers following the bombing of 1942. Below, the description will be focusing on the current state of the Palazzo Ducale.
The structural and architectural elements are many, and have also been changed and remodeled over the centuries. Today the Palazzo Ducale has become the Palace of Culture and Cultural Heritage, aims to be multifunctional cultural space. To make more accessible the building, between the porch and first floor mezzanine was created, the final restoration, a ramp system, called Hanging Road, a system of paths that has the intent to revitalize the relationship between the ducal and the ancient city. The facility is modern and has been inserted in the spaces destroyed by bombing in '44. Because of the fire of 1777, the decorations have been lost of the Sale of the Councils. Those of the Great Council were made by the Bolognese Marco Antonio Franceschini, those were the Minor Council of the Neapolitan Francesco Solimena. In the time of the Great Council Medal, Domenico Tiepolo had painted "The Massacre of the Giustiniani at Chios", also lost to landslides.
Left abandoned for a long time, and used as headquarters of the judicial offices in the seventies before the construction of the new courthouse Portoria, has seen her complete restoration at the Columbus celebrations of 1992 were commemorated with which Christopher Columbus and the five hundredth discovery of America.
It houses the main floor, major art exhibitions, debates and conferences (held in the frescoed halls of the Major and the Minor Council) and, in the courtyards and arcades, shops and eateries.